Something Inventive 29: Bath Digital Festival Special – Part two
In this episode as well as giving you a round op of the days events we also feature an interview with Jim Morrison the festival director and ask him pointed questions such as ‘why are the workshops so far apart’.
If you have any feedback, ideas or topics you’d like covered on our podcast we’d love to hear from you. Please get in touch via our contact page, leave a voicemail on 0800 881 5805 or mention @RatherInventive on Twitter.
Something Inventive is an entertaining and lively podcast on creativity and the web. Subscribe on Apple Podcasts or search for ‘Something Inventive’ in your favourite podcast player.
Episode sponsored by our SEO report
- Bath Digital Festival 2018
Secrets Of Successful Calls-To-Action and Landing Pages
- It’s about motivation – Convert action and urgency
- Test. Test. Test.
- Exit pop ups can bring in more clicks for email signup
- (In their tests) video less effective on landing page when the offer is simple
Gertie Goddard, Noisy Little Monkey
- Revealing The Mysterious World Of Marketing Automation
- The Psychology Of Sales Emails
- Nurture people towards a close: Attract -> Convert -> Close
- It’s all about them. Use the word you more than we/me and yse their name in the email subject line
- Use video as part of proposal process
- Use a PS, often people skip straight to this
John Payne, Noisy Little Monkey
- Evershare.io – Where Fans Can Buy A Share in a Song
- Why Your Business Needs a Blog
- Share the why (your story) in your blog. To help with this describe what you do to a friend or colleague then ask them to summarise it back to you. This is your story.
- Give stories to customers so they can share them and convert others
- People use Instagram because they are looking for images they can step into or a person they can be.
Sal Godfrey, Sal’s Kitchen
- The Tech is Not Enough
- Bring the audience to you. Find out how to help them
- Understand: who will face this challenge? Who do they trust for recommendations? How can I reach them?
- Maximise content: what do you have already? What can you easily create? Video has 130% additional engagement. What else does your audience need? Create stock image library of product images or shareable content
- Maximise engagement: look for a slow burn acceleration. Ask questions? Polls! What are there anxieties/fears/hopes? Pick the right tone of voice. Listening to customers and adding features that add value.
- Make your tech shine. Move from spec (what is it made from) -> Features (what does it do) -> Benefits (how does that help me) -> Value/Impact (why customer busy).
Emily Perkins, OggaDoon
- Bristol and Bath Cyber meet up
- Company of the lovely chap Ben met at the bar www.showup.global
- Shout out to these guys for an interesting event with free beer!
- Successful CTA and Landing Pages
- Simple, clear, targetted, bold
- Dont be afraid to lose your site nav on landing pages
- On exit popups were more effective than bottom-right panels
- Designing for a better World
- Draw up your own goals and aims, as an agency or freelancer
- It’s ok to say no to a project but keep it professional
- Its ok to work for an ‘evil’ company if you are trying to change them for the better
- Check your pension and what it is funding!
- Digital Brands__ready
- 50% of purchases are on phones
- Traditional shopping model totally altered by peer reviews and trust
- 81% read reviews before buying a product. 1 in 3 comment or interact with brand in some way. 79% wont buy from again if mobile experience was bad
- Lean Content – Jo Duncan
- Simple, Single Channel, Straightforward content
- Really, really put yourself in your customers shoes. Feel what they feel.
- 80% planning / 20% doing
- Why you need a blog
- Write new posts once a week or 2 weeks ideally
- Give people a story to talk about and to share
- 300 – 1000 words perhaps
- Bring a product to market
- People want problems solved, but not get sold to
- Who does your audience trust?
- How-to’s, guides and manuals really important.
- Equality in workplace discussion
- Returnships – for people returning to work after career break – new concept
- Offer fair paternity/maternity policies, dont get stuck in traditional policy
- Home or flexi working opens up new potential workforce
- Really interesting anecdote; when a successful male recruiter used his colleagues’ computer while she was on holiday it mistakenly added her email signature to his emails. He found that he got loads more negative responses from recruiters in particular.
Be part of the show
Tweet a service or product you’d like to promote, mentioning @RatherInventive and the hashtag #podvert and we’ll read it out over the coming episodes.
If you like the show please give us a rating in iTunes and we’ll read out your comment. You can do this from the podcast player on Apple.
Thanks for listening!