37: Round up from the WXG7 tech conference
Ben Kinnaird, Clare Harris and Al Osmond chat about their favourite bits from tech conference WXG7 (Web Expo Guildford)
The sponsor for this episode is Inventive People. Get 20% off first order with the code INVENTIVEPODCAST.
Wirehive intro by Robert Belgrave
- AlexaSTOP podcast
- 20,000 times more energy from the sun that we don’t use
- How abundance will change our future: energy, transportation, communication
- Boston Dynamics dog
Mental Health by Dr Tamer Shahin
- 16 million attempted suicides a year
- 1 in 4 suffer from mental health
- Stigma around mental health
- Prevention over cure
- Mimi mirror, real-time measurements. Asked questions, measure response
- Reminds me of intro to The Island (great film)
- Ultimate goal is Mimi to give autonomous decisions
Accessible for all by Steven Woodgate
- iPhone app Seeing in Ai, reads world around us
- Make accessible for one person and that makes it accessible for everyone e.g. Captions useful when have no sound
- 1 billion people have disabilities. Many more have temporary disabilities such as a broken arm
- 10% children have dyslexia in UK
- Education needs changing
- Funny transcriptions 🙂
Saving the planet with SVG by Chris Dowling
- Allowing people to customise their garment online
- Saving CO2 because SVG is smaller than JPEG
- 15%of clothes are left unsold. 400 billion dollars wasted!
- We all need SVG in our lives
Creative for good buy Chris Tod Hunter
- Ethical agency, what does that mean?
- Don’t be a d**k!
- Sharing and giving
- Bcorp accreditation
Mobilising a billion people by Alice More O’Ferrall
- We are losing nature. Loss of biodiversity, rapid decline. When did a bee give you an invoice!
- Get a billion people to make nature matter by 2020
- Earth hour, switch lights off for an hour #connecttoearth
- If you audience are hard to reach communicate with those who do have influence with them
- “Thumb stopping content”
- Micro influencers to share their ideas in their own voices
- Our planet on Netflix
- Reduce consumption #meatfreemonday
- Invest money, such as your pension, into sustainable companies
The dystopia is already here by Daniel Harvey
- “the future is already here…”
- Algorythmically produced videos
- Australia, the capability, China pigeon drones
- Stochastic terrorism
- Obama deepfake video – We also spoke about this on our podcast
- Aldus Huxley, brave new world
- What can we do? Time well spent movement, reduce notifications. Put down your tools and take action, demand better from employers. Used he power of GDPR
- Make it easier to be kind. Tobias Stockwell designer
- The Dystopia is already here
Creating next gen. digital services by Ann Longley
- Tim Burners Lee, people controlling their own data. One Small Step for the Web…
- Finding the balance between freedom and control
- Providing opportunities and content for young people
Seb Lee, with lasers!
If you have any feedback, ideas or topics you’d like covered on our podcast we’d love to hear from you. Please get in touch via our contact page, leave a voicemail on 0800 881 5805 or mention @RatherInventive on Twitter.
Image Credits: www.wxg.co.uk
If you like the show please give us a rating in iTunes. It helps share it with other people.
Thanks for listening!
Sign up to my free Marketing Boost webinar
to kickstart your marketing for 2020.
We’re all guilty of focusing on the stuff that has little impact – vanity metrics such as Facebook Likes, website visits, or Youtube subscribers – without paying attention to the things that really matter. Customer experience.
Join me to learn how to find the right customers, create great content
and a develop a sustainable approach to marketing.