Subscribe on YouTube, Apple Podcasts or Android.
In this episode, I feature an extract from my club webinar last year where I share some background on what SEO (Search Engine Optimisation) is, why it’s important and some tips on getting started.
If you are new to SEO, this episode will be a good place to start. But if you are a little more experienced then I’ll be sharing more ideas and advanced techniques in future episodes.
So settle in and join me while I explain some SEO basics.
What is Search Engine Optimisation (SEO)
Making changes to your website that you know (or believe) will gain a higher position in search engine results for a given keyword search.
What motivates people to search on Google?
- They want to do something
- They want to know something
- They want to go somewhere
Why is SEO important?
The first 5 results in the search engine get 68% of the clicks.
SEO Terms you should know
- SERP – Search Engine Ranking Position
- Snippet – Information on Google search result
- Impression – How often your snippet is shown
- CTR – Click Through Rate. Number of clicks compared to an impression
- Keyword – A phrase used to find something online
- Long-tail – A long and specific keyword phrase
Keywords and how to find them
- Google Trends to compare up to 4 keywords at a time
- Google Keyword Planner available as part of Google Adwords to show the average monthly searches for keywords & related keywords
- Related Searches recommendations in the Google footer