Join my Marketing Club to get articles like this delivered to your inbox.
10 tips for email marketing
/ Al Osmond
1. Know your audience/reader Create an email they will want to open and act on.
2. Interesting or challenging subject line A clear and honest subject line that tells the reader exactly what your email contains.
3. Personalise Often personalised content can increase open rates rather than a one size fits all approach.
4. Interesting and useful content Give the benefits to the reader, make it worth their time reading your email.
5. Ask for action Don´t leave them hanging ask the reader to take the next step, read more, or sign up.
6. Provide a quick and easy way to unsubscribe It shows you respect their data and it´s a legal requirement.
7. Recognisable From address If you can use a named email rather than a generic one this can increase open rates.
8. Run campaigns in plain text and HTML Many email programs only use plain text for their email preview. Effective use can improve open rates.
9. Be consistent Choose a frequency of sending that works for you and your readers, then stick to it to build familiarity.
10. Run experiments Don´t be afraid to test out different subject lines or content to find out what works best.
Join my Marketing Club
Get regular advice on marketing, video and the web so you become more effective in business. Pro Members get access to live webinars, exclusive discounts and other perks.